Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Gift i'd like to Give.....rough draft (outlined idea)

Outline: A Gift I’d like to give.
AGD:
I. Intro to gift
A. to what, to whom, how ECT. Definition: “A love and loyal or zealous support of one’s country. “
II. Why I chose to give this gift/ its importance.
a. Why I chose, what it means to me (passion here) why I want everyone else to have it.
b. Its importance, September 11 days and their infrequency, what it has done for us (Martin Luther king)
c. What it can do for us. (Blindly agreeing to Gov. Actions (Complaining about the recession and how the gov. is oppressing us but doing it with a tight closed lip.
d. Speak up! This essay is my gift, the gift of awareness. (Should I say it will continue? “My message may not reach many at first but I won’t stop. My voice will be heard. And then, you’ll raise yours.” `
Optional e. Fix placement, in-between letters, john 15:13 what we once stood as, a nation proud to by governed by god, our money, our schools, our court houses. Patriotism ran strong in our Christian nation. Concession:
Optional f. Fix placement, Misconceptions of patriotism
Conclusion: AGD tie in and finishing hard passionate note. Oratory: laugh cry and motivate to change.

PAGE 1-

We were once a nation UNDER GOD. UNITED is how we once stood. As the time span from our declaration lengthens the more we forget who we are as a country, and what we should be proud of (awkward-rewrite) Patriotism. This is my gift to all those who will listen. Patriotism is anything but flag waving and blind conformity to the government. The words “hero” and “patriot” are often used as synonyms, most often in reference to a soldier performing his or her duty. Some of our nation’s greatest hero’s have also been among the most passionate of patriots. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Dr. Martin Luther King. Known for his nonviolent resistance against the government and the effort to overthrow state oppression qualifies as true patriotism. Now a little over 50 years from the day he made his first public stance against government oppression, we stand; no we sit and watch our own government continue down a path of oppression of its own. Citizens complain about the current recession, and bills that slither their way through the House of Representatives and slide past the evaluating eye of the Senate, and only after it’s appointed the title of law does it rear its ugly head. Yet we the people sit on the sidelines closed lipped. (drifting from thesis-refocus.)

2 comments:

  1. Holly- Thank you so much for appreciating my work, that means so much to me! I don't even think I am that great but your comment that you left meant so much to me. I didn't read this outline sooner but I feel as though I should have. It is so very true that our nation is going to slums. We once cared about government, about love, about freedom, about this idea called "god" but that is all it is now. an idea. I really wish you would write more because now I am intrigued. I like that you had a subtle mention of god and you did not force it down our throats like some essays are here. It is like, hello...this isn't testimony meeting, this is High School. I think that this definately has potential in it. Please write some more so I can more clearly see your idea as to where you want this to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Holly, I just read your longer paragraph that you just posted. I really enjoyed it! It has to be one of the most unique gifts that I have read about. who thinks of giving patriotism? No one. It is so over looked. Just because we live in a country doesnt mean we are patriotic. Just because we pay taxes, doesn't make us strong citizens. I like it!

    ReplyDelete